The Magnificent Alhambra
Alhambra is a red fort in Granada on top of the hill protecting a beautiful palaces and gardens with a lot of pools inside.
The monumental complex encompasses a vast area including the Alcazaba (the fortress), the Nasrid Palaces, the Partal gardens and the white palace Generalife. Unfortunately, there are not any stall where you can get foods apart from the vending machines. This site is exceptionally beautiful. You definitely should buy the entrance ticket days before your visit online, otherwise you have to queue in the morning with dozens or maybe hundreds other people. The access is very easy, you can ride your own car and park near the entrance pavilion. The bus goes every 10-15 minutes and taxi is always available. If the weather is good and you don’t mind walking uphill, taking the pedestrian ways is also a good option.
The Alcazaba – one of the oldest part and the military area
Nasrid Palaces – consists of 3 palaces from three different periods, the mexuar, the comares and the palace of the lions
Partal – Includes gardens, pools and towers
Generalife – was built as leisure area of granada monarch to escape from the official routine. it consists of upper and lower garden, both are equipped with pools and a lot of fountains. When you are in the vicinity of the white palace, you can always hear the sound of running or splashing water. The flowers and the water ways creates a shooting environment.
Surroundings – Also, don’t miss…
some little advice:
- Have a short break after visiting Nasrid Palaces and after visiting the Generalife. Trust me, you will need it.
- Relax and enjoy the scenery and the landscape
- Wear comfortable and appropriate footwear -sadly I learned the hard way
- use adequate sun protection and bring your umbrella, you’ll never know
- Bring enough water and snacks, some chocolate wouldn’t hurt for a little sugar rush considering you will spend the whole day walking
- it is obvious but, do not forget your ticket and your camera!